Change of condition in scope of practice
Are you a registered nurse and want to change the conditions in your scope of practice?
Your practising certificate will state your scope of practice and any conditions that are placed in it. Usually the conditions in your scope of practice identify the area of nursing you are qualified to work in. For example, the condition could state:
- registered nurse; may only practise in general and obstetric nursing; or
- registered nurse; may only practise in mental health nursing.
In some circumstances, a nurse may apply to the Council to practise in an area other than the one shown on his or her practising certificate. (Please note: This is a separate process from applying for a practising certificate.)
To apply for a change of condition in the scope of practice, a nurse is required to submit to the Council an application form, supporting evidence, and a non-refundable fee of $200.00.
The supporting evidence must include:
- a current curriculum vitae detailing the nurse's work history since registration
- cerified copies of transcripts of qualifications gained
- detailed evidence of ongoing professional development.
Nurses from outside New Zealand must also supply a verified copy of their original training transcript, unless the Nursing Council already has this on file.
A Recognition of Prior Learning process will be used to assess the application for educational equivalence. If the applicant meets all requirements, a change of condition will be granted and a new practising certificate will be issued.
If the evidence is not sufficient for the change of condition, the nurse may be advised to:
- complete a competency assessment in the specific area of practice by a Council-approved competence assessor against the competencies for the registered nurse scope of practice; or
- complete a prescribed graduate or postgraduate programme and be assessed by a Council-approved competence assessor against the competencies for the registered nurse scope of practice; or
- enter an approved pre-registration programme and apply for recognition of prior learning.
The Council will notify the nurse in writing of its decision.
The fee for a change of condition in a scope of practice is $200.00.
For the application form and credit card payment form, see the right hand downloads box on this page.