General Public

The role of the Nursing Council is to protect the public by setting standards for nursing in New Zealand. These standards are applied to: 

  • all education programmes in New Zealand
  • nurses working in New Zealand
  • overseas trained nurses who wish to work in New Zealand. 

Any person who wishes to nurse in New Zealand must first meet these standards in order to become a nurse and then continue to maintain requirements to demonstrate they are competent and fit to practise nursing.

The Nursing Council itself is an organisation established under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act. The board of the Council is made up of nine members six of these are nurses and three are laypeople. The work of the Council is supported by the Chief Executive/Registrar and staff

When a nurse fails to meet the required standards of nursing the Council will investigate and depending on the nature of the issue either aid them in meeting the standards or if necessary follow disciplinary processes. 

If you, as a member of the public, have concerns about a nurse these can be addressed to either to the Nursing Council or to the Health and Disability Commissioner. Please use the complaints form in the downloads box right of this page to address any of your concerns to the Nursing Council, or  contact us. More information on our role in keeping you safe can be found below.

Keeping you safe (PDF, 231 KB)

Information on the education programmes that lead to a nursing qualification.

Read more »

Raising concerns about the competence or performance of a nurse.

Read more »

The Nursing Council of New Zealand’s role is to ensure that nurses are competent and...

Read more »

Return to top ^


This pamphlet has been developed to outline the role of the Nursing Council

Keeping you safe (PDF, 231 KB)

Concerns about a nurse

Concerns or complaints about a nurse may be made in writing to the Registrar of the Council or to the Health and Disability Commissioner. If the alleged conduct or practice has affected a health consumer the complaint should be made to the Commissioner who will decide whether to investigate the complaint or refer the matter back to Council.

Complaint Form - Concerns about a nurse (Word 2007, 163 KB)